Tuesday 13 November 2007

Bought Your Own Club

A return to one of our favourite subjects...Co-operatives and Football.

I didn't think it would happen so quickly but MyFootballClub (Independent & Provident Society - one member one vote) have bought 51% of Ebbsfleet. I didn't know much about Ebbsfleet in the Blue Square Premier until I realised last season it used to be Gravesend & Northfleet in the Nationwide Conference. It would appear quite a few clubs wanted to be bought out. Sloppy reporters refer to a website taking over a football club - which is nonsense - when it's a collective of individuals. It's not the only football club run on co-operative lines by fans (FC United, AFC Wimbledon). I'm given to understand that Football League rules prohibit a club being an I&PS and not a capitalist company which shows how out of touch they are with the Government and UEFA backing of Supporters Direct. There is every chance of promotion this season or next.
Story - BBC News