Until I read the current Co-operative News (6th - 20th March) I must confess to not knowing about this co-operative (trading since 1919, registered 1932). That's living in a big city for you.
• Anyone over 16, with suitable produce to sell, may apply to join.
• All goods must be genuinely home-produced.
• It costs only 5 pence to join!
• All Country Markets are run co-operatively; no-one has their own table.
• Everyone is expected to take their turn manning the stalls and helping to run the market.
• There are no minimum quantities to produce – start small and build up.
• A small commission (usually about 10%) is taken from sales to cover market running expenses; the rest is paid to the producer monthly.
There are 450 outlets in England, Wales & CI. Unfortunately none around here, unless we start one. The nearest are places like Macclesfield, Frodsham and Holmfirth.
Full details on the website.